Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Learning at the Academy
Continuing To Improve Our Academy
We have some key aims for the coming year as we further attempt to deliver our vision for outstanding education, "Excellence. Every Child. Every Day."
* Further raise standards in writing at Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 for all pupils and groups of pupils.
* Free School Meal Pupils and More Able Free School Meal Pupils to attain in line with their non Free School Meal peer group.
* Provision of teaching and learning to be 100% Good and 50% outstanding throughout the year.
* To further raise standards of attainment and progress for SEN pupils across all Key Stages of the academy.
Approach to Teaching Reading and Phonic Skills.
We are really proud to use the Read Write Inc. phonics scheme across our academy. Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year olds learning to read and write. Children are placed into homogenous reading ability sets and then learn various phonemes (segments of sound) and the corresponding grapheme i.e. how that sound is written. Sounds are divided into 3 sets. In Reception children will learn Set 1 sounds and some Set 2 sounds; in Years 1 and 2 (Key Stage 1), children will secure Set 2 sounds and learn new Set 3 sounds.
The programme involves programme specific terminology which your child may talk about when they come home:
- Fred the Frog: Fred the Frog is a frog which is used as a vehicle to help the children blend sounds. Children learn pure sounds first but then need to learn to blend sounds together so that they can read a word. Fred can only read pure sounds, so the children help Fred by blending the sounds so that they can help him to read a whole word!
E.g. c -a - t sounds out as cat. c- a- sh has three sounds which make the word cash.
- Green Words - these are words which can be read phonetically
- Red Words – these are words which cannot be read phonetically.
How can you help?
In the Spring term, we hold parent workshops so that you have a better understanding of the scheme and learn how you can help your child to read. In the meanwhile you might find the following videos helpful which explains how to divide words into pure sounds and how to blend them.