At Harris Primary Academy Chafford Hundred mathematics is taught daily. We have high expectations for all our children and make lessons fun, interactive and relevant for all pupils.
We teach mathematics through the new national curriculum which is broken down into the following strands:
- Number - number and place value
- Number - addition and subtraction
- Number - multiplication and division
- Number - fractions (including decimals and percentages)
- Geometry - properties of shapes
- Geometry - position and direction
- Ratio and proportion
In mathematics, we challenge children to think for themselves through investigations. We also allow children to apply their skills in different contexts, in order to help them become numerate in all areas.
Mental mathematics, including quick recall of key facts, is very important. Therefore we teach children their number facts and then multiplication tables and expect them to remember these quickly. The following website will support their learning of key facts at home: